First Smart Water Supply Project at Pulawala village in the Maha Oya, Ampara district of Sri Lanka
Our first Smart Water Supply Project of Green cross was executed in Pulawala village in the Maha Oya, Ampara district of Sri Lanka. Pulawala village is located in dry zone in Sri Lanka where has low annual rainfall. The project was implemented by collaborating with Green Cross Japan, and the Acqua for Life partnership with Giorgio Armani.
Commencement of the preparation of the project activities took place in February 2014 consequent to the negotiations conducted by Mr. Tom Kawamoto, Assistant to President of Green Cross Japan as directed by Hon. Shoo Iwasaki, President of Green Cross Japan with Ms. Marie Laure Vercanbre, Director of Water for Life Program of Green Cross International situated in Geneva Switzerland on procurement of funds for water related project to be implemented by the National Organization of Green Cross Sri Lanka, established in 2005 as the 28th member. It is also very significant that the organization was engaged in the conservation, protection, and maintenance of the natural environment of the island possessing very high biodiversity. Consequent to the approval by the Advisory Board of Green Cross Sri Lanka headed by the Dr. Jagath Seneviratne, President, the document along with the budget proposal were referred to Green Cross International with the recommendation of Green Cross Japan for grant of funds for implementation of the proposal.
The construction work was started on 01st of July 2014 and we have completed all the work of the project relating to the Action Plan & quotation on 12th September 2015 and it was handed over to the Mahaoya Pradeshiya Sabha and Nildiya Community Base Associate for maintenance and distribution of water to the families of the village. There are now 198 households (with over 1,000 residents in all) benefiting from the new system. Prior to the completion of the water project, the residents were in an environment where dirty and unsafe water could not be secured. Available water was highly contaminated, and many residents who drank continuously became ill with contaminated water, such as diarrhea and cholera.